The Climate and People
By: Jadyn, Cobi, and Tony
1. What is the climate like where you live? The climate in Kansas changes depending on the season, Winter- very cold, Spring- gets warmer a lot of rain, Summer- hot, Fall- starts to get colder outside.
2. What types of houses do people traditionally have in your place? Why do you think houses are like that? It really depends on what kind of house the person wants to live in, some people buy concrete or brick houses because they can keep you a lot safer in tornadoes, and some people buy wood houses maybe because their in good neighborhoods, and because they can be cheaper while brick homes are very expensive.
3. What clothes do people wear? Winter- Warmer clothing (heavy coats, jeans/long pants, long sleeved shirts, and mittens/scarves/hats.) Spring- People start to wear clothes for warmer weather (capris, sometimes shorts, t-shirts, etc.) Summer- People wear clothes for the hot weather (Shorts, tank tops, etc.) Fall- People change their wardrobe for cooler weather (jackets, scarves, long pants/jeans, etc.)
Winter Spring Summer Fall
4. What foods do they eat? Why? Write a recipe of a traditional dish.
A traditional dish that we eat would probably be hamburgers. People usually have barbecues in the summer and hamburgers are the most common thing to make. Here is a recipe:
1 pound lean ground beef
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon liquid smoke flavoring
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon olive oil
seasoned salt to taste
Preheat a grill for high heat.
In a medium bowl, lightly mix together the ground beef, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke and garlic powder. Form into 3 patties, handling the meat minimally. Brush both sides of each patty with some oil, and season with seasoned salt.
Place the patties on the grill grate, and cook for about 5 minutes per side, until well done.
5. What activities do people do outdoors in your country? People here do a lot of sports. Soccer, basketball, football, track, etc, and in the winter people like to do things in the snow (snowball fights, make snowmen, etc.)
6. The climate can make a lot of problems. Do you have disasters in your country? What do people have to do if there is this kind of disaster? In Kansas we are known for having tornadoes, during this disaster you are to report to your basement or a room without windows until the threat is over.
This what happened to the town in Kansas with the most recent tornado: